The role of the Head Pastry Chef is to provide leadership and management expertise to all elements of pastry and dessert preparation. The role will also involve input into product development of new products and cooking techniques.
The incumbent will report directly to the Executive Chef.
Primarily located in our Kitchens in Bray, with visits to Retail Outlets.
• To manage and co-ordinate the preparation of pastry and dessert products ensuring consistent compliance with The Butler’s Pantry standard/specification.
• To participate in an ongoing way in the development of new products and baking techniques, and to play an active role in the product development process and food forum.
• To provide strong leadership and people management skills in the management and development of the kitchen team.
• To ensure sufficient and timely deliveries to all shops and outlets through effective planning and preparation.
• To maintain flexibility in planning to ensure customer ‘special’ orders can be accommodated.
• To ensure supplies of ingredients and consumables are ordered routinely.
• To consistently achieve margins through efficient use of ingredients, control of waste, security of product and storage areas and yield of finished products.
• To consistently achieve key KPI’s in line with budgets and targets.
• To ensure the recipe centre is used for every dish prepared; to ensure correct formulas are used, quantities of each dish produced, as per shop levels
• To stay in touch with the retail environment through
daily checks on stock levels,
follow up on customer feedback,
routine visits to all shops,
monthly meetings with Head of Retail
• To co-ordinate with the Main kitchens:
When planning Do lists
Ordering and purchasing
Process improvement and product development
• To co-ordinate with the operations area daily to ensure:
Stock levels are on target
Product presentation and finish is to standard prior to dispatch
Fulfilment of Do lists and achievement of yields
Feedback from shops and customers is fed back to kitchens
Feedback from shops and customers is acted upon
• To comply with all HACCP and hygiene requirements and so ensure good standards of hygiene and food safety at all times, achieving Food Safety KPI’s.
• To work with the kitchen team in ensuring good standards of cleanliness, housekeeping and maintenance are maintained.
• To complete all daily paperwork and participate in the routine reviews of these records and results. (e.g. Daily Production Sheets, Orders, waste records, food cost, HACCP records etc.)
• To demonstrate professional leadership skills in the management and development of the kitchen team.
• To work with the Executive Chef in ensuring good and positive morale amongst the kitchen team.
• To mentor and provide ongoing on job training to the kitchen team.
• To attend weekly Management meetings, with ideas and input, and corrective action.
• To carry out effective performance appraisal meetings and guide and encourage those who need extra support and development.
• To act as a role model for the values of The Butler’s Pantry and to promote and support our culture of continuous improvement and best practice.
• Comply with company policy at all times.
• Adhere to company practices and procedures at all times.
• Carry out all reasonable tasks and requests as assigned by manager/supervisor.
• Professional manner at all times, representing the ethos and values of the company.
• Ensure correct uniform is worn at all times.
• Ensure compliance with company and best practice standards
• Comply with the health and safety working practices
• Actively look for hazards when carrying out duties and take appropriate action to remove and/or report to manager.
• Ensure you are continually in keeping with the following, which are in line with the values of The Butler’s Pantry, when dealing with internal and external customers:
1. Mutual Respect
2. Customer first
3. Think solution, not problem
4. Continuous improvement
Changes may be made in this job description from time to time, as your experience and expertise evolves and develops.
Please fill in the attached Application form and send this, along with your CV and cover letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org